A well-chosen fireplace is the focal point of any room, so choosing a new fire surround is an important task. While the best option for you will depend on the age, style and size of your home, stone is a great choice in many cases. Whether you prefer striking granite or classic marble, adding a stone surround to your existing fireplace - or completely overhauling the whole thing - can be a worthwhile investment in your home.
Stone is a timeless option and complements a wide range of decor styles and colours. Here are just some of the benefits of opting for a stone fireplace surround in your home.
A stone fireplaces will last and last. Think of all those old stone fireplaces you have seen in stately homes or period properties - in many cases, a stone fireplace will last as long as the property it is installed in. A properly installed stone fireplace will remain looking good with very little maintenance other than occasional cleaning. There is no need to worry about scratches or chips in your fire surround, as stone can stand up to an awful lot of knocks and scrapes without signs of damage.
A stone fireplace has a timeless appeal that will never date, providing you choose a classic design. If longevity is important to you, steer away from overly contemporary styles that will look out of date after a few years and stick with more subtle designs in neutral tones. While some modern granite surrounds are extremely attractive and eye-catching, they might not necessarily suit as wide a range of decor as more traditional designs.
A fireplace is often considered a permanent feature of a home, so splashing out on a high-quality and attractive stone surround that complements the overall style of your property could add value in the long run. As the focal point of your living room, an eye-catching fire could even sway undecided buyers and really make your property stand out from the crowd.
A stone fire surround can retain more heat from your lit fire than other types of surround. This means it can actually help to keep your room warmer for longer and will even continue to give off warmth after the fire has been turned off or extinguished. Your room will be gently warmed by the stone.